Building a chicken coop

We are building our first chicken coop! When we were starting out we intended to colonize the rabbits and chickens together, but decided against it as rabbits can get sick, dirty with chicken poop, and the chickens might peck at the baby bunnies. In cages the rabbits are kept safe and clean.

We wanted to share our experience with building our first coop.

The area was previously used to store firewood. It had a roof and simple vertical framing.

After day one of the build: March 17, 2019

Structure is framed in on 2 sides and siding placed on one side. We picked red because we loved the idea of it looking like a little barn. We are so grateful for several good friends who really helped with this project.

Burning holes in ground to dig in posts !!! What we do to survive in northern Minnesota!

One more step closer… windows. we found these windows at Menards and liked that they had a screen and could open to let in fresh air.

Darrick had to take a pick axe to the ground- it was still frozen but needed those bottom boards to be level!!

March 22: One more day along the process. We had to figure out how to do j-trim but once we figured it out it went pretty good. Set the posts for the main door. It’ll be two 3 foot doors that are Dutch doors, so the top can open up to let air in.

Got the posts set for the double Dutch door. We got the j-trim around the windows done. That was a learning experience

Darrick’s task this week is to build the two Dutch doors and hopefully get them stained too. If we can get the siding started this week that should put us in a good spot to finish insulating by the following week and move the birds and rabbits in.

March 30: Darrick built the doors and moved them inside so Kay and her friend could paint them.

The Doors are finished.

Looking like a barn!! Darrick and his friend have been working tirelessly to enclose the siding on the coop. Next is insulation, plywood, and putting the doors on. Nearly done!

Two wall panels up. Styrofoam behind the plywood.

April 7: Doors hung and plywood on the back wall. The left door will be a Dutch door but that will be finished at a later date.

April 10: insulation and framing by the door.

Next step is to add handles, latches, locking mechanisms, and bury chicken wire on the outside so animals don’t try to dig in. We also added lights to keep the chicks warm if needed.

Last step: add chickens (and a mini farmer)

Thank you for following our journey. Our next step will be to add rabbit cages to the chicken coop (we have a small stackable in the right side of this photo) and turn one of the doors into a Dutch door.

God Bless,

Darrick and Kay

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: